The Pastor of Young Adults (PYA) is a full-time pastor who serves the mission of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) of Lafayette, Indiana: To become a community of people who know God, follow Jesus, and pursue God’s purposes in the world. The PYA supports the mission by providing pastoral ministry to young adults, from 9th grade through age 35. The PYA will also oversee the development of ECC’s Life Group ministry team for building community and spiritual formation. In addition, the PYA will take on other ministry-related tasks as agreed upon by council and the lead pastor.
The PYA engages in the ECC Touchstones of Welcome, Transformation, and Presence in the following ways:
WELCOME: by creating a welcoming culture where each young adult is well-cared for, thus encouraging a return visit. Our welcome at each in-person classroom and in online conversation is critical.
TRANSFORMATION: by ensuring that our young adults’ classes and worship experiences invite them to journey toward Christoformity. The PYA will also oversee a team of people committed to developing and equipping Life Groups for transformation and community. Likewise, as a valued member of the staff team, the PYA engages in staff spiritual formation.
PRESENCE: by creating a team that prepares young adults to be sent out into their neighborhoods and schools as agents of change and redemption. Likewise, the PYA will practice Presence in the community, outside of regular ministry hours in the community.
The PYA reports directly to the council, is supervised by the Lead Pastor, and serves the mission and vision of ECC in the following Key Responsibilities.
- Develop and cast vision for young adult ministries.
- In collaboration with the Pastor of Families and Children (PFC),
- create and oversee ministry teams that will support families in their efforts to establish a solid spiritual foundation for their teens
- oversee and promote ministries to high school age youth and their families
- coordinate curriculum for spiritual formation, recruit and train leaders and teachers
- champion the integration of youth in Sunday worship
- oversee child and youth safety policies
- Oversee and develop a team of Life Group Leaders responsible for leading the ministry and training group leaders
- Actively participate as an ECC staff member (attend weekly staff meetings, occasional staff retreats, training seminars, etc.)
- Offer pastoral care to young adults and their families
- Preach, teach, participate in worship, administer the sacraments, and engage other responsibilities as discerned by the Lead Pastor and the Council
- A growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Ordination (OWS, OWSrv) in the Evangelical Covenant Church, or commitment to pursue permanent credentials in a timely manner.
- Passion for the impact of the discipleship of young adults.
- Strong people skills, administrative skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, experience in leadership, ministry to young adults, and pastoral ministry.
- Commitment to ECC and the larger Evangelical Covenant Church.